The FabLab’s Epilog laser cutter can be used to engrave or cut many materials. Here are some guidelines for designing your project:
- The dimensions of the laser cutter bed are 28 by 40 inches. The material you plan to cut or engrave must fit within these dimensions.
- Material must be flat and fairly smooth, otherwise the laser may not focus properly.
- The following materials can be engraved with the laser cutter:
- Plastic (some types)
- Some metals (aluminum, brass, coasted steel)
- Marble or other soft stone
- The following materials can be cut with the laser cutter:
- Wood (up to 1/2 in. thick)
- Acrylic (up to 1/2 in. thick)
If you are not sure if your design will work with the laser cutter, come in during our hours and discuss it a FabLab technician. Keep in mind that our 1/8″ wood and acrylic sheets are 12″x24″ so your design must fit within these boundaries.
In support of coursework and school projects, we will use materials on site for projects of limited scale, but for larger or ongoing projects, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will provide information about how to order material from our supplier directly. We do not accept unapproved outside materials due to the potential byproduct of harmful chemicals during the manufacturing process.
Epilogue Laser Fusion with dual CO2 and Fiber lasers
Laser scanning also available (NextEngine)